Dec 15, 2008

Times...they are a changin'


So, are you enjoying everything that the Christmas season brings? It seems to me that as a result of the change in our economy, people are approaching what was "the norm" over the past twenty years plus, very differently. I spent two days this past week in San Francisco. It was not
per the usual hustle and bustle in that city. Decorations were very toned down, sidewalks were not crowded, the stores were packed full of SALE signs, discounts, coupons, etc., instead of the frantic holiday purchasers. All was definitely CALM & BRIGHT, but fiscally slow. Kind of sad. The thought came to mind that perhaps this is God's way of utilizing something that is challenging to us, that will get our attention turned to Him. Maybe it might be one way that people will be forced to consider what Christmas is really about. After all, if we can't hurry around buying, selling, partying, or ignoring the real reason for this season, what is left but to spend time contemplating life, and even the reason for our existance. The Bible states, "that even the rocks cry out there is a God." What does it really take to get our attention, and jar us back to reality? God is not a shouter, rather a Father that speaks to us in a still, small voice. "Be still, and know that I am God." I'm wondering if all the noise of our worlds has crowded out his gentle whispers to us. Would we even recognize His voice if we heard it?
Father, remove the blinders from my eyes, the numbness of my heart, and replace them with a keen ability to hear your voice and sensitivity to your gentle touch. Remind me that I was created for your plan and your purposes. That I waste much of my time running in circles instead of following your lead. You only want the best for me, to grant me the desires of my heart, and much of the time I sabotage myself by thinking I know what's best for me. So God, get my attention. Work with me as only you can so that my life is not only pleasing to you, but firmly planted in what is true, good and acceptable to you. Help me to uderstand what you want me to see and not become dulled mentally, emotionally, or spiritually. Thank you, Father, that nothing is ever wasted in your economy. You are a restoring God, and I will continue to believe that you will do what you say you will do.
In Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Boniie, I love how God gently pulls us near. It is those times that I am at ease, calm, and ultimately happy. I often drift out of lazy realtionship. Then He pulss me in again, I am his child and He desires relationship with me. Really, me? I love God! He really is the King of Kings!

Dawn T said...

Thanks Bonnie! Your words hit home. Lord work with me as ONLY YOU can.