Sep 25, 2008

Listen...Listen


Heard someone say the other day that they didn't trust "anyone." It made me so sad for a couple of reasons. First, that they put others on such a pedestal that they can never make a mistake, and secondly, that maybe they are just waiting for that "other shoe to drop." Like they knew all along that someday it would happen. I, myself don't like being put in a place where I start feeling almost nonhuman; you know that walking on eggshells thing, and Hoof & Mouth disease ridden? I realize that others look to me for many different things, for my input, my perception, my thoughts on spiritual things, but even all this can only be taken as truth once you've researched it for yourself. Knowing where real Truth is found is the answer, and I do try to point them that way. There have been so many times that I have asked God, "why me?" Why do I have to run the risk of letting another down, or disappointing and hurting them? Why can't I just be a regular gal too? I forgive, why can't others? Why does the acid in my gut bother me so much longer than anyone else? Getting angry is such a dead ended reaction. Rationalizing and justifying don't make the cut either. I just know that when I propose all these questions to God, He consistently says the same thing..."Why not you?" I think of all the men and women in the Bible that lived lives full of poor decisions, of rash decisions, and didn't learn their lessons any easier than most of us. Life can certainly become complicated sometimes, especially when we have absolutely zero room for anything else to be happening. I believe that simplicity is what God intended...in our day to day lives, and especially in our relationships, and I long for it. When I read scriptures like, "greater is He that is in me, than He that is in the world," "Love one another as I have loved you," "be not conformed to this world, but be transformed...," "Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another..." and the list goes on and on and on, I am sure that we all make it way too hard. Satan likes that. He likes it when we loose heart, or hope, and don't believe that there is any way out. What's it say? "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen." We are definitely in God's "darkroom," and He is developing us, even though there are times that I get to feeling like a double exposure! Great word picture, don't you think? Thank God, that these bumps in the road are not the end, but just a part of our journey. My good friend Sue had a very timely blog today on her website (www.welcomeheart.com) and wrote, "sometimes God uses all sorts of things to remind us that He wants our attention --I need to go move up my chair to get a better look." "Listen, listen to Me . . .give ear and come to Me; that your soul may live."
(Isaiah 55:2,3) Sometimes it takes two "listen's," doesn't it?

No comments: