Feb 10, 2009

We all need a loving touch...


I (sometimes hopelessly) fall in love with people. My family and friends are the most important asset I have. They encourage me to be better, challenge me, love me to a different level, cause me to think logically (Wayne says thank you), and give me more than I could ever give. Why do you think God created friendship? Well for those of you that might not believe God is a real person, has a personality, and feels our acceptance of Him as well as our rejection of Him, I would challenge you to look a little closer. When scripture speaks of God creating us in His own image, it is referring to the fact that He himself exhibits the components that He integrated into us that day in creation when He created Adam & Eve. Hello...i.e. Psalms 139. We are full of details. God wanted others around Him, that he could walk and talk with while in the garden. He is social in nature. He has been the "initiator" in a relationship with us from the very beginning. Have you ever put yourself out there to a friend and been hurt by their response or lack of one? This wasn't a fluke my friends...there was always a plan.

The very fact that God desires an "intimate" relationship with us is sometimes mind boggling to me. When I think of some of the individuals I know or know of, who I figuratively walk a "wider circle" around, I realize that I choose and pick those that I make my friends. God doesn't do that, in fact, He sent Jesus to walk this earth for the very purpose of coming even closer to us in human flesh. How's that for giving everything you've got? This has been a challenging week, to say the least, in fact, a challenging 2009 so far...and here comes Valentine's Day. I have been reading the Psalm's lately and discovering again how God, from the very beginning, planned to love on each of us. In the sermon in church on Sunday the pastor was playing a video short on "who is Jesus." The #1 answer of many is that He is God. He is purposeful in His dealings with us, and shows the human and loving character of his heart to us as He walked, talked, touched, lived and sacrificed for his friends while here on this earth.

Discovering God's character qualities are like treasures to me. With people there can be too many surprizes and disappointments sometimes when we put ourselves in vulnerable places with them. One thing I know is that God wants us to love as He loves us, and to allow Him to love others as only He can love, through us. Sometimes we are like a soft blanket, sometimes a hammer, sometimes sandpaper, but I want to always be used of Him. When we realize that our lives are most purposeful, when we live "on purpose," it's a good thing. Practice His Presence this week...and love on somebody who needs a touch from God.

“Life is short, you have to act where and when you can. When I was young, I used to want to change the world. Now, I realize, I can just change one life at a time.”

No comments: