Aug 15, 2008

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

What if everyday was perfect? I remember when my kids were small and we sometimes would watch Mr. Rogers in the morning. Never a raised voice, or an unhappy gesture...always an "S" of a person, with plenty of "R" to go around (for those of you who have studied different personality traits, i.e. STAR.) Life is never like that though is it? I have been able to count at least five times in this past seven days when Ephesians 3:10-18 has been shared with me. While talking with my husband, Wayne, this morning, I told him that I knew that we, and others, are under specific attack. Satan is very busy these days and wants us to cave in and believe his lies. Sometimes he is very subtle, but other times he is just outright blatant in his tactics. We become so laid back in our faith sometimes, believing that our paths will never get thorny. Then his attacks hit us right where we live. Reading the Psalms, I've been reminded that King David was just like us. His life was definately an open book for us to learn from. From the very start he was chosen by and used of God dramatically. Did he "mess up?" Royally (get it?) David had every opportunity to have that perfect life. After all, he was chosen and pursued by God, made King of Israel, was a real war hero, good looking, strong, and even was referred to in scripture as "a man after God's own heart." But, even he dealt with mental and emotional upsets, displayed lack of character at times, experienced the loss of two sons, and time and time again grieved his God. I wonder if David ever looked at his armor as the passage in Ephesians 3 suggests. I challenge you all to read it and, if you can, read the story of David in the Old Testament. Understand that allowing there to be a "chink" in our armor is dangerous, as it was for David, and renders us completely vulnerable. Let me know what you think.

No comments: