Oct 18, 2008

What do you think of when you see a Rainbow?


I'm sorry if any of you tried to check my blog lastnight or earlier today. I tried to make some layout changes and completely flubbed up what I had. Thankfully, I was able to recover what I thought I'd lost. Oyvea'...think that's how you spell it.
The weather is changing here and everyone is getting sick. One week it's cold, the next (as in the past two days) it has been hot and then today partly cloudy and muggy. Spent the better part of today at yet another baby shower. I am completely "gamed" and "giving" out, what with two baby showers last Sunday and this one today. I love them all, but come on now, don't these couples have anything better to do with their time? I'm kidding...relax!
Waxing eloquent is not my forte tonight. I did visit with one of my favorite uncles today. He is in rehab now and recovering well from a stroke and heart attack. First physical problem he's had, I think. God obviously has something still for him to do since the stroke was bad enough. When he was sent to rehab from the hospital he had his heart attack there. If it hadn't been that his daughter happened to drop in to visit, he most likely would have died. They don't check patients regularly there, nor do they have patients on any kind of monitor. Anyway, it was purely delightful to see him looking well, and talking and laughing with him. He says he's ready to go be with Jesus, but is grateful for the extra days here as well. I think I feel that way too, about him staying here a while, that is. I can't imagine life without my Uncle Howard. He has been married to my Mom's youngest sister, Aunt Boots, for almost 50 years. He's a little man with the hugest smile that lit up when I walked into the room. Hearing him say, "Hello there, my Bonnie," was heart warming, and transported me back to when I was a little girl at our big Ransom family reunions. The legacy my family has left me is irreplaceable, and I am so grateful that I will be reunited with them all once in God's own presence. I heard a statement today that struck home, and it was this. " For some this earth is the only heaven they w
ill ever know, for others, this earth is a taste of hell & heaven is yet to come." Made me stop and think of the old chorus, " This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through. My treasures are laid out somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore. Oh, Lord, you know I have no friend like you, if heaven's not my home, then Lord what will I do? The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."
Those of you that remember that song will probably smile, the others will accuse me of just making it up. It has a true message though. Where would we be without God's promises (like HIS Rainbow), the hope He gives, and the assurance that we will be with Him someday. I'm not in a hurry, but I am ready! How about you?

2 comments:

Nonni said...

I wish I was as ready as you sound! I have tentacles in my feet I fear, that anchor me to this world. I need a greater spiritual knowledge of my heavenly home. Right now, it seems primarily intellectual. Like I have read the brochure and "why yes, I would love to have a home in that community!" That is a great deal different than knowing I have a place there and being anxious to move in. I struggle with "knowing" my place just about everywhere it seems...you always get me digging deeper! Perhaps I have been researching the wrong topic? Think I will redirect my focus and research in a heavenly direction now.

Bonnie said...

I think that the illustration of birth is much like that of heaven. We, as women, become so tired of the process and just long for our baby to be here. I understand the "tentacles" but even with that I know that they, at their best, are only temporary. As I said, I'm not in a hurry, but I am willing. There is a book I am looking for called "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn. Want to go thru it with me?